At 17 I got my first job on a feature film as an Art Department Assistant, based at Ealing Studios, working for Production Designer Brian Savegar. Progressing to Kingston University, I completed a BA in Fine Art, focusing on analogue photography and animation. I freelanced as a Photographer/ Designer for clients in music and fashion, and in between experienced various roles in TV and film from Runner to Costume Assistant, Prop Construction, Art Department and Stills, before gaining a scholarship to the National Film & Television School for a two-year MA in Animation Direction. I directed a life-size pixilation animated short film called ‘Stanley Pickle‘ that became the most awarded short film to come out of the NFTS in 2011. I gained distribution through Shorts International where the film is available on iTunes and Amazon.
Upon entering the film festival circuit, I was signed as a Director to White Lodge, the Fashion Film arm of Blink Productions where I made a Fashion Film for Lulu Guinness called ‘The World is Your Oyster’. I went on to be represented by Aardman Animations and Mind’s Eye Media, as well as gaining features representation from Curtis Brown in the UK and Anonymous Content in the US. During my time as a Freelance Director, highlights included being selected as a BAFTA ‘Brit to Watch’, being part of the ‘Made in Britain’ series at the BFI showcasing the ‘next generation of British female filmmaking talent’ and being offered a book to develop in to a feature film in the US.
After realising I enjoyed working with people more regularly than each time I got the opportunity to direct a film, I became a Lecturer in 2015 and have taught filmmaking to a wide range of age groups from ten-year-olds to teenagers to adults.
I currently work at London College of Fashion as Course Leader in MA Fashion, Film and Digital Production. I continue to collaborate, make films and art in my spare time.
- BAFTA ‘Brit to Watch’
- Recipient of the John Brabourne Award
- Chosen for the BFI Made In Britain Screenings
- Short-listed for the Arts Foundation Award
Published in the following books:
- Barry Purves second edition of ‘Stop-Motion Animation: Frame by Frame Film-making with Puppets and Models’ (2016) Available on Amazon
- Tom Gasek’s second edition of ‘Frame-By-Frame Stop Motion: The Guide to Non-Traditional Animation Techniques’ (2017) Available on Amazon
Awards for Stanley Pickle:
- McLaren Award for New British Animation Edinburgh International Film Festival, Scotland, UK
- Best Experimental Film 14th LA Shorts Festival , USA
- Prix Du Meilleur Court-Metrage Dinard Film Festival, FR
- Best UK Short at the Raindance Film festival, London UK
- Silver Plaque for Best Animation 46th Chicago Int Film Festival USA
- Best Graduation Film KROK International Animated Film Festival, Russia
- Best Animation Golden Kuker International Animation Film Festival, Bulgaria
- Best Animation, Cinanima Animation Festival, Portugal
- Best Animation, E-Magicians The Young European Design Conference, FR
- Best Animation, Metropolitan Film Festival, NYC
- Best Film Jury Grand Prize, Black Maria Film Festival NJ 65 Location Tour USA
- Verna Fields Award for Sound Design 58th MPSE Golden Reel Dario Swade, USA
- Best Animated Short Film, Omaha Film Festival, USA
- Best Short, San Diego Indiefest, USA
- Grand Jury Prize San Diego Indiefest, USA
- Best Student Film ECU Paris FR
- Onda Curta Award Monstra Animation Festival Portugal
- Vision Innovation Award New York Digital Short Film Festival USA
- Best Short Film Arizona International Film Festival USA
- Outstanding Achievement in Short Film Making Newport Beach IFF USA
- Best Student Production BUFVC Learning on Screen Conference UK
- Best Animation Seattle True Independent Film Fest USA
- Best Short DMVIFF Washington USA
- Best Sound Design DMVIFF Washington USA
- Anca Award Fest Anca, Slovakia
- Special Prize Van D’or Awards Cannes in a Van UK
- Best Short Film Wild Rose Independent Film Festival USA
- Distinctive Achievement in Costume Wild Rose In- dependent Film Festival USA
- Distinctive Achievement in Editing Wild Rose Independent Film Festival USA
- Distinctive Achievement in Animation Wild Rose Independent Film Festival USA
- Best Cinematography Seattle Shorts Film Festival USA
- Best Animation or Experimental Film at Tbilisi International Student Film Festival, Georgia
Exhibits and Art Shows:
- Patternity/ Superstripe in association with Creature of London 2013
- All Senses at Palais de Tokyo, Paris 2012
- The W Project, London UK 2011
Selected Past Talks and Workshops:
- Future Learn ‘Explore Animation’ Online Course Tutor
- Edinburgh International Film Festival, Scotland, UK talking to school children from underprivileged backgrounds.
- The Story Museum, Oxford, Animation Workshop and resident illustrator in the ‘Illustrator Zoo’.
- Chicago International Film Festival, Chicago, Illinois, US talking to school children from underprivileged backgrounds.
- Birds Eye View Film Festival, London, UK Panel discussions on women in animation and filming techniques.
- Citizen Jane Film Festival, Columbia, Missouri, US televised panel discussions on women in animation.
- Exeter Animation Festival, Exeter, UK with the NFTS.
- National Film and Television School, Bucks, UK Workshop and Visiting Tutor.
- Hertfordshire University, Herts, UK with Kubrick Producer Jan Harlan.
- London Film Academy with ECU, London, UK with Scott Hiller and Kadi Lock from ECU Paris.
- BAFTA Children’s Awards, Jury for Best Children’s Animated Series, London, UK 2012
- ECU Paris, pre-selection and Jury, Paris, FR 2012, 2013, 2014
- Watersprite International Student Film Festival, Cambridge University 2014
- Dragonframe Blog: Film Industry Network Interview
- Short of the Week- Review by Jason Sondhi
- European Independent Film Festival- Interview at Palais de Tokyo, Paris
- Chicago International Film Festival- Cinefile Interview by Nelson Carvajal