Vicky Mather is a multi-award-winning Filmmaker and Course Leader for MA Fashion, Film and Digital Production at London College of Fashion.
Hailing from a creative family, Vicky developed her career in the film industry early on working in a range of creative departments within film crews from Runner to Costume Assistant, Prop Construction, Art Department and Stills, before gaining a scholarship to the National Film & Television School for a two-year MA in Animation Direction. Her life-sized animated film ‘Stanley Pickle‘ became the most awarded short film to come out of the NFTS in 2011 and subsequently gained distribution through Amazon and iTunes and now lives in the Google Arts and Culture archive.
Vicky was selected as a BAFTA Brit to watch in 2011 and gained representation for Fashion Films, Music Videos, and Commercials at Blink Productions where she worked for Lulu Guinness, then on to Aardman Animations and Mind’s Eye, as well as gaining features representation from Curtis Brown in the UK and Anonymous Content in the US.
After a number of years of pitching, writing, and developing ideas, Vicky decided to steer her career toward education where significant changes could be made in terms of representation on screen and behind the camera. Since then Vicky has built media and film courses, taught a wide range of age groups and abilities, as well as enriching educational experiences through her film network.
Since 2018, Vicky has built and launched a new Master’s course at UAL, and works as the Course Leader for MA Fashion, Film and Digital Production at the London College of Fashion, University of the Arts London.
- Showcased in Animation Director Barry Purves second edition of ‘Stop-Motion Animation: Frame by Frame Film-making with Puppets and Models’ (2016) Available on Amazon
- Contributing filmmaker to Tom Gasek’s second edition of ‘Frame-By-Frame Stop Motion: The Guide to Non-Traditional Animation Techniques’ (2017) Available on Amazon
- BAFTA ‘Brit to Watch’ in 2011
- Recipient of the John Brabourne Award
- Chosen for the BFI ‘Made In Britain’ Screenings
- Nominated for the Arts Foundation Award
- Staley Pickle has been made part of the Google Arts and Culture Archive to celebrate 50 years of the National Film and Television School
- McLaren Award for New British Animation Edinburgh International Film Festival, Scotland, UK
- Best Experimental Film 14th LA Shorts Festival , USA
- Prix Du Meilleur Court-Metrage Dinard Film Festival, FR
- Best UK Short at the Raindance Film festival, London UK
- Silver Plaque for Best Animation 46th Chicago Int Film Festival USA
- Best Graduation Film KROK International Animated Film Festival, Russia
- Best Animation Golden Kuker International Animation Film Festival, Bulgaria
- Best Animation, Cinanima Animation Festival, Portugal
- Best Animation, E-Magicians The Young European Design Conference, FR
- Best Animation, Metropolitan Film Festival, NYC
- Best Film Jury Grand Prize, Black Maria Film Festival NJ 65 Location Tour USA
- Verna Fields Award for Sound Design 58th MPSE Golden Reel Dario Swade, USA
- Best Animated Short Film, Omaha Film Festival, USA
- Best Short, San Diego Indiefest, USA
- Grand Jury Prize San Diego Indiefest, USA
- Best Student Film ECU Paris FR
- Onda Curta Award Monstra Animation Festival Portugal
- Vision Innovation Award New York Digital Short Film Festival USA
- Best Short Film Arizona International Film Festival USA
- Outstanding Achievement in Short Film Making Newport Beach IFF USA
- Best Student Production BUFVC Learning on Screen Conference UK
- Best Animation Seattle True Independent Film Fest USA
- Best Short DMVIFF Washington USA
- Best Sound Design DMVIFF Washington USA
- Anca Award Fest Anca, Slovakia
- Special Prize Van D’or Awards Cannes in a Van UK
- Best Short Film Wild Rose Independent Film Festival USA
- Distinctive Achievement in Costume Wild Rose In- dependent Film Festival USA
- Distinctive Achievement in Editing Wild Rose Independent Film Festival USA
- Distinctive Achievement in Animation Wild Rose Independent Film Festival USA
- Best Cinematography Seattle Shorts Film Festival USA
- Best Animation or Experimental Film at Tbilisi International Student Film Festival, Georgia
Exhibits and Art Shows:
- Patternity/ Superstripe in association with Creature of London 2013
- All Senses at Palais de Tokyo, Paris 2012
- The W Project, London UK 2011
Selected Past Talks and Workshops:
- Future Learn ‘Explore Animation’ Online Course Tutor
- Edinburgh International Film Festival, Scotland, UK talking to school children from underprivileged backgrounds.
- The Story Museum, Oxford, Animation Workshop and resident illustrator in the ‘Illustrator Zoo’.
- Chicago International Film Festival, Chicago, Illinois, US talking to school children from underprivileged backgrounds.
- Birds Eye View Film Festival, London, UK Panel discussions on women in animation and filming techniques.
- Citizen Jane Film Festival, Columbia, Missouri, US televised panel discussions on women in animation.
- Exeter Animation Festival, Exeter, UK with the NFTS.
- National Film and Television School, Bucks, UK Workshop and Visiting Tutor.
- Hertfordshire University, Herts, UK with Kubrick Producer Jan Harlan.
- London Film Academy with ECU, London, UK with Scott Hiller and Kadi Lock from ECU Paris.
- Canadian International Fashion Film Festival 2020
- BAFTA Children’s Awards, Jury for Best Children’s Animated Series, London, UK 2012
- ECU Paris, pre-selection and Jury, Paris, FR 2012, 2013, 2014
- Watersprite International Student Film Festival, Cambridge University 2014
- Dragonframe Blog: Film Industry Network Interview
- Short of the Week- Review by Jason Sondhi
- European Independent Film Festival- Interview at Palais de Tokyo, Paris
- Chicago International Film Festival- Cinefile Interview by Nelson Carvajal